Thursday, June 21, 2012

Spring Awakening 2012 - Chicago

Experienced on 6-16-2012 and 6-17-2012


WOW.... what a weekend. If this doesn't put Chicago on the map for hosting great EDM type events I don't know what will.  Simply put if you were in Chicago and you like electronica and you WEREN'T at Spring Awakening you should be disappointed in yourself. Everyone was killin' it even the lesser know DJ s. The headliners were just God like. This doesn't come without some criticism, which I'll get to in a second.

First I wanna star off by giving a lot credit to the staff at React Presents, Congress Theater and the entire staff working the whole weekend for making it run really smooth. I was pleasantly surprised how well everything went. I'm doing this because after Saturday I saw a lot of people bitching on facebook about how people weren't allowed to bring in empty water containers and came backpacks n such, to which I say stop bitching because there were plenty of water fountains in or around the stadium and cooling stations. So if you bought one water for $4.50 or $4.75 whatever it was YOU COULD REFILL IT for FREE. I see no problem with that, when you see any type of festival like this obviously the organizers are going to try to make as much money as possible. The DJ s that performed probably cost a lot of money to book, and that price gets passed on to the consumer. But I do have a problem paying $8.50 for a bud light, but i drank a bunch of those anyway, if you don't have much of a choice there's not much you can do. Though I made it to the festival at 5pm on Saturday and 4pm on Sunday I still think I got more than my moneys worth in terms of music. Give the heat wave that weekend I give props to anyone who attended both days fully.

On day one I fell in love with Morgan Page, Benny Benassi was ridiculous at the main stage and Skrillex absolutely destroyed his set. No one seems to mind when it started to drizzle especially when Skrillex said "Its the rain dance Chicago!!!" causing everyone to go nuts. His lasers also looked like a million little dots in the rain which made for a nice visual effect. One bad thing was when it started to pour and the lake wind kicked in. Not to mentioned the grueling "march of death" from the stadium the long as way to get back to the city in an attempt to hail a cab, which was impossible as thousands of other soaked party goers were trying to do the same.  It was funny though watching 3 guys hiking in some bushes in the median of a major street jumping out to hail a cab only to find out it was a pizza delivery guy. "fuck you pizza guy!" haha highlight. 




On Day two I finally got to see Nervo who I missed during the MiD's 1 year anniversary week. They were awesome, Felix Cartal was great, Datsik satisfied as always, Flux Pavilion, (Base Cannon was especially sick) rocked the main stage and so did Derick Carter from what my buddies told me and Carl Cox. Later in the evening I had to decide between Wolfgang Gartner and Laidback Luke, so I decided to see half of Wolfgang and half of Luke, only to be disappointed for leaving Wolfang's AMAZING set. Laidback Luke at least finished it off right with his collaboration song with Chuckie "1 2 3 4". Unfortunately Afrojack let me down but maybe I was setting myself up for failure after watching his Ultra 2012 set life in my friends living room (same time I bought my Spring Awakening tickets) and expecting the same sort of set. I personally didn't like that he mixed in Beyonce and Pitbull songs because this was not the B-Bash. This time around the walk back to the car was a lot more enjoyable as the weather was perfect on Sunday night and this beautiful city of ours just looked fabulous.


Honorable mention goes to the amount of hotties that could be seen at Spring Awakening, the ratio of Hotties to Duffs was I'd say 9:1, if anyone cared to know. "Where do these girls hide during the day" ..."I don't know man, libraries? That's the last place I would check"


Thank you everyone who made it out to make this amazing festival a success, thank you to the new friends I made and thank you Soldier Field for setting the stage for something very memorable, I'm pretty sure I'll be seeing everyone next year when this is even bigger and better .

No comments:

Post a Comment